Singapore,MAGICBOX,MAGIC,BOX,Esplanade,Lawrence,Priscilla,Khong,Parasol,Spikes doom,Jason,Dwayne,Iskandar,Illusions,Theatre,Magical,Gateway,productions,entertainment

Monday, May 5, 2008

MAGICBOX Rehearsal starts!


MAGICBOX is here! This fact can’t get any more real than in today’s rehearsal. For the first time, I saw all the cast, creative and production crews gathered in our studio.


Johnny Thompson, yes the Great Tomsoni himself, had flown in from California to attend this inaugural meeting. He will be giving magic direction for the show. Iskandar Ismail, who is composing the MAGICBOX theme and songs, also lent his prestigious presence.

Jonathan Lim is more well-known as a director and playwright based in Singapore, but he is here in MAGICBOX as one of the actors; I wouldn’t tell you in what role!

I’m seated here with actors Jason Chan and Dwayne Tan.

My dad gave a rousing speech to welcome the team. And it’s down to business. Scripts were passed around and Loretta Chan, our Artistic and Stage Director, got very animated explaining the creative direction to the crew and the dancers.


There’s such a lot to do; but I took advantage of a short break in the briefing to make a beeline for Johnny. I’ve worked with him before on our previous international production Magic of Love, and it was like reuniting with a mentor. I really look forward to this entire month of watching how he approaches and solves problems in his wonderfully insouciant and yet professionally keen manner. With veterans like Johnny, you don’t just understudy his magic, you understudy him.


After a solid day of briefing and discussions, everyone was starting to zonk out.
Enter…carbohydrates!

My dad is such an intense person, he wasn’t going to let the dinner break interrupt him. Here he is, still talking business with Iskandar.

After dinner, we had a frank, no holds barred critique of MAGICBOX illusions. It’s a struggle to view your illusions with an objective eye, and to be patient with the opinions of the creative and production people. I used to sometimes feel that they are too demanding! But I remind myself that this is because they are setting high standards for the show; which is what I want for MAGICBOX, right?


Mercifully, somebody called an end to the first rehearsal. Outside is pitch darkness. I felt that a lot had already been threshed out, but we are still a long way from Curtains Up.

Will keep you posted on further developments!

Priscilla

No comments: